The Scottish castles collection features pictures of Eilean Donan Castle in Scotland by photographer David Rankin. Take one of our Eilean Donan Castle photo tours to visit the castle and get some great pictures of it .
Eilean Donan Castle was originally built in 1220 and owned by the MacKenzies of Kintail. The MacRae Clan who settled in the area came from the Beauly Firth where they had protected the Clan Fraser.
In 1719 it was held by Spanish Jacobites. Three English frigates sailed into Loch Duich and bombarded the castle with cannon fire until it was in ruins. The castle them lay in ruins for nearly 200 years. In 1911 John MacRae-Gilstrap bought the castle and start work to restore the castle over a period of twenty years at a total cost of a quarter of a million pounds. Local materials were used wherever possible.
More recently the castle featured in the film Highlander and a James Bond movie, the World is not enough .
James Bond tours from Private Tours Edinburgh feature a visit to the castle and the Highlands film locations .
Find out more about our James Bond tours
Four ancient Scottish castles feature in our tour
Your private tour includes a pickup from your hotel / Airbnb in Edinburgh , a professional driver/guide , a stay of up to an hour plus a return to Edinburgh .
Your guide will give details of the history of the castle and information about films and TV shows made at each location . Your guide will always be friendly, helpful and informative .
1 . Drummond Castle gardens
Drummond Castle Gardens were featured as the French royal Palace of Versailles in TV drama Outlander. The formal gardens are listed as a Category A listed building . They are one of Scotland’s hidden treasures .
2. Linlithgow Palace
Linlithgow Palace ( Wentworth Prison in Outlander )
This royal pleasure palace and birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots became the backdrop for some of the most harrowing scenes in the Outlander TV show.
Depicted as Wentworth Prison, the prison corridors and entrance were used in episode 15 of the first series when Jamie Fraser was brutally incarcerated by his adversary, Black Jack Randall.
Built in the 1400s and 1500s, the now-ruined palace is set among the spectacular surrounds of Linlithgow Loch and Peel.
Outlander Castle tours can be booked on +447305-294773
3 Doune Castle
Originally dating to the 13th Century, Doune Castle near Stirling was a favourite place for Mary Queen of Scots .
Doune Castle has five claims to movie fame –
- Outlander – Doune was Castle Leoch , and it also features in the 20th century episode when Claire and Frank Randall visit the castle on a day trip.
- Game of Thrones . Doune represented the castle Winterfell in Game of Thrones.
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Outlaw King
- Mary Queen of Scots
- NEW – Four ancient Scottish castles feature in our tour – Linlithgow Palace , Drummond Castle and Gardens , Stirling Castle and Doune Castle.
- What are the best selling castle tours for 2023 ?
- Tour of St Andrews and Historic Fife
- Five Scottish castles tour – private tour of of five castles
- Scottish whisky and castles tour – private tour
- Four castles tour
- Game of Thrones and Outlander tours